Sunday, October 12, 2008

BrendasBeadsandMore - Unplugged!!!


This past week, I have had the pleasure of speaking with The wonderful Brenda from Brendas Beads and More, http://brendasbeadsandmore.etsy.com/ She is so fantastic and it was wonderful doing an interview with her. Don't forget to read the next post down and find out all about her 'Be A Star' pendant.

1.Which part of your work do you most enjoy? Which part do you find hardest?

I’m pretty new to metalwork, but I think my favorite part is cutting a design out of the metal and shaping it to match up to my drawing or picture. I like the feel of the metal in I my hands as it heats up when I’m working it. I end up concentrating so much on the work that time just slips on by.The hardest part for me is taking the pictures. I just can’t seem to find the background or get the lighting right to make awesome pictures. My husband thinks I need a new camera, so maybe I’ll get one for Christmas.

2.Where do you get your inspiration?

Sometimes an idea will just pop into my head when I see a particular shape that I like or an item like a flower or building. Lately, I have wanted to make small flowers. I would like to try to make a daffodil but I still have a lot more to learn about metalworking and soldering.

3.What is your favorite item that you have purchased on Etsy?

I actually have two favorites. I got the cutest little wristlet with little kitty cats on it from http://Antiquebasketylady.etsy.com - It was sooo cute, but it is missing. I will have to ask her if she can make me another one. The other is my banner and business cards from http://FAHpopups.etsy.com - She did such a fantastic job and I actually get a lot of compliments about them.

4.If I could sell one item from my shop today, it would be...

I would love to see the Silver Star with multi-colored gemstones sell. My pictures do not do it justice. I’m actually very proud of that piece because I was able to set all 6 of those gemstones all by myself.

5.If I had enough money to pick one item on my wish list from any shop on Etsy to buy, it would be...

If I had the money, I would definitely ask nimbusnovem, http://nimbusnovem.etsy.com/ , if she could etch a picture of my kitty cat on marble. She does the most beautiful pictures of animals and people.

6.What is the best advice you have ever received?

Spend about 15 minutes a day posting in forums or chat to help promote your shop and allow people to get to know you. And go to Alchemy and request a Banner and Avatar. I have done those and I think it helps. Not only do people get to know me, but I have learned so much about art and the people behind it. I have also recently joined EtsyRain Team and hope to be meeting some of the members this weekend.

7.What advice would you give to artists who are new to Etsy?

Have patience, be confident in your work, and promote.

8.How do you promote your work?

I talk in Forums a bit. I participate in a BNR – More Meaningful Gifts. The group in this BNR are fabulous people and it’s almost like a family. They share lots of ideas and tips and are very positive people. Instead of posting only about our own items, we promote each others shops. We learn quite a bit from each other.I also do LinkReferral and respond to people looking for items to feature in their blogs. Because I don’t do booths myself, I will send samples to someone else who is doing one. And I leave my business card on bulletin boards that allow posting whenever I go out. I always carry small sample bags with me to hand out in case someone asks me about the jewelry I am wearing. Because my funds are limited right now, I try to find the free or inexpensive things I can do to promote.

9.Apart from creating things, what do you do?

I recently started working part time at home doing transcription work. I also read a lot. I’m kind of a book worm. I love scary movies, and my favorite TV shows are Project Runway and Ghost Hunters.

10.What led you to start selling on Etsy?

I was selling on Ebay for a while. Then I heard about Etsy at a Marketing Class I took at Danaca Design Studio in Seattle. So I made the switch and recently closed my Ebay store. Etsy is way better.

11.How would you describe your shop?

Since I don’t have a particular style, I tend to make whatever comes to mind. So I have a variety of items listed in my shop such as bookmarks, wine glass rings, and eyeglass chains in addition to the jewelry items. And I occasionally make cards. My jewelry is mostly beaded, but I now have 4 pieces listed that are metal worked.

12.Are you working on anything new right now or is there a craft you would like to learn?

I have been working on a Teardrop pendant which is actually done. But I can’t decide on the type of chain to put with it. The perfect leaf fell off a tree right in front of me today. I know it’s been done before, but not by me. So I am planning a new leaf pin, maybe in silver and gold.

Thanks to Brendas Beads and More for this awesome interview!!!

*Picture courtesy of Brendas Beads and More*

*A big "Thank you" to Aevan for the use of her awesome and insightful interview questions!!! Check out her Etsy shop here: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5321524 or check out her own seller interviews on her blog: http://aevanarts.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

Dorana said...

congratulations on your feature brenda! :o) lots of luck and sales!

siempre - dorana

Lara said...

Great interview and great blog!

Jenni said...

great interview, Kimberly!