Sunday, October 19, 2008

KreationsbyKiki - Unplugged!!!


This past week I met an awesome lady with a cutie shop and had the pleasure of interviewing her. Her name is Christy (a.k.a. Kiki) and she is the owner of Kreations by Kiki ( http://kreationsbykiki.etsy.com/ ) - a cute scrapbook/paper arts shop on fabulous Etsy. I love her Halloween scrapbook - it is just too cute, but she has items for all paper lovers. So read the interview, check out her shop and get to know another fabulous seller.


1. Which part of your work do you most enjoy? Which part do you find hardest?

The part that most enjoy is the part where I get to kick back and relax and create something nice that I know that someone will enjoy. My life is very hectic and my paper arts are, as I refer to them, my “Calgon.” The part that I find the most difficult is locating the items that I have envisioned. I have been doing paper crafts and scrapbooking for about 10 years now, so, as you can imagine, I have quite the stash of goodies. Sometimes it takes me longer to round up the supplies that I would like to work with, than it does to actually complete the project.

2. Where do you get your inspiration?

Anywhere and everywhere. It could be a t.v. commercial, a magazine, something my kids say, something I see at the store.

3. What is your favorite item that you have purchased on Etsy?

I have only received one item that I purchased and it was stickers. I did just make a purchase today that I am very excited about….I got some cool new alphabet rubber stamp sets from DribsNDrabs. I love her shop! I am very, very new to Etsy. I just joined September 16th. I found Etsy while searching for alternative sales forums, (other than Ebay) for my crafts. Thanks to Google search engine, here I am and I love it. Etsy is such a friendly community.

4. If I could sell one item from my shop today, it would be...

I think that it would definitely have to be my Halloween Chipboard Album. http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=15499293 I spent so much time on this album making it something that people could enjoy for years to come. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t be at all upset to keep the album, but I thought that would be a great item to introduce my work to Etsians. So, I have been a little surprised that it is still on the “virtual shelf.” I even had it on sale for $17, for awhile. Since then, I have returned the price of the album to the original cost of $20.

5. If I had enough money to pick one item on my wish list from any shop on Etsy to buy, it would be...

The “Custom Engraved Elegant Sterling Silver Guitar Pick by AndrosCreations ( http://androscreations.etsy.com/ ). My fiance’, Scott Gehrett, just released a new album called VII Sins, which is also available on Etsy.

6. What is the best advice you have ever received?

Oh gosh, I don’t know. Everyone has been so friendly and helpful. When I first set up my shop, I posted a critique request in the help forum and so many people looked at my shop and told me things that I should do, or fix. It was awesome!!! People are just so helpful here on Etsy!!!

7. What advice would you give to artists who are new to Etsy?

Well, first and foremost, I think the best advice that I could give is to get involved in the forums, at least for the first little while. Let people know who you are and what you have available. When you list new items in your shop, find a link that they fit into and post them. Take the time to chat with other sellers. I have found that other sellers are also, BUYERS, and it’s worth the time to get to know them. They’re all so nice.

8. How do you promote your work?

Honestly, I haven’t gotten around, too much, to promoting my work, yet, outside of Etsy. I do have a website, http://www.kreationsbykiki.com/, but I haven’t taken the time to get it up to par, yet. I also have a myspace site that is dedicated to my crafting, http://www.myspace.com/kikispaperpatches. It’s basically my Etsy Mini Shop so hopefully more people will find out about Etsy. It’s too great of a place not to share, even if people aren’t in the market for my items.

9. Apart from creating things, what do you do?

Gosh! A LOT!!! I am a mommy of two wonderful kids, a 10-year-old son and an 8-year-old daughter. I am full time dispatcher for a heating and air company and I am full time college student, in my sophomore year. I am working toward obtaining a double Bachelor’s degree, in Management and Human Resources. It’s a struggle to keep up with it all, but I love it. But, now you understand, maybe a little better, why I need my craft as a “take me away.” :0)

10 .What led you to start selling on Etsy?

I have sold on Ebay off and on for years. It has changed a lot over the last several years, however, while I was taking a break to get other things in my life situated. I wanted to have some forum for my crafts, so I went searching and when I saw Etsy, I fell in love and thought, “why not?!” Since opening on September 16th, I have had 8 sales, so I am very pleased with my decision.

11. How would you describe your shop?

I would describe it as cute and cheerful and anything that you can possibly think of that is made of paper, you will probably find there. If it’s not there, yet, just give me a little time. I love custom orders, too, though, so I do encourage anyone who likes my work, but doesn’t see what they would like to have, to send me a convo and I will accommodate any order.

12. Are you working on anything new right now or is there a craft you would like to learn?

Right now I am working on Halloween cards. I have a custom order for some that I need to get finished. I am also working on a wedding keepsake piece that will make a beautiful gift for someone and I’m working on a Christmas mini album. Generally, I have several projects going, so if I feel like switching, I do. I like being able to mix things up a little.

*Picture courtesy of Kreations by Kik*

*A big "Thank you" to Aevan for the use of her awesome and insightful interview questions!!! Check out her Etsy shop here: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5321524 or check out her own seller interviews on her blog: http://aevanarts.blogspot.com/

No comments: